Monday, October 12, 2009

Quick & Creamy Not Cream of Tomato Soup


I’d like to introduce you to Susan, one of my three incredible sisters. She is a great cook and has long been a health enthusiast. Recently she read the book, “The Engine 2 Diet,” and became fascinated with the idea of being able to reverse heart disease. She is now eating vegan and loving it. Her husband (a wonderful man), like many people, prefers his potatoes with meat; so we have a similar challenge and she has promised to send me only the vegan dishes that her husband enjoys eating. The recipe that follows is her creation. I made it the other night and couldn’t believe how quickly it came together (boy, she took that “quick, easy and delicious” part seriously)! It’s a tummy pleaser! Thank you Susan!

It was a cold fall day and I wanted a healthy and creamy soup fast! This recipe was all three! Even Mr. Meat & Potatoes thought it was excellent. (Please don’t tell him it was made with soymilk!)

Quick & Creamy Not Cream of Tomato Soup

Easy
20 minutes
Serves 4

Non-stick cooking spray
1 medium onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
1 - 28 oz. can Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
16 oz. non-fat plain soymilk (I used Westsoy)
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 T. Fresh basil leaves, chopped


Spray the bottom of a stockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Spoon the onion into a blender or food processor with the tomatoes. Blend until smooth. Return to the stockpot, add the soymilk and heat on medium-high heat until simmering. Season to taste with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with basil.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you, Susan (who, incidentally, is one of my three fabulous sisters..shhh).
I can attest to the fact that Susan does indeed make delicious food! The soup recipe sounds so yummy!! No surprise.

Marcia, you never cease to amaze me. Congratulations for creating this beautiful blog. I'm so impressed! Although, I'm not a follower of the vegan lifesyle, I will definitely follow your endeavors and recipes.
Way to go!!

Love and hugs to you and Susan,

Kathy :)

TylerD said...

Way to go, Marcia!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcia,

Have you heard of Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread? It's a vegan margarine. I was told that Trader Joes carries it.

Love,
Kathy :)

myguetschow said...

Hi Kathy!

No, I haven't heard of Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread. Do you know if it has oil in it?

Marcia

PS. I so happy you're following the blog. You'll have to give me a few of your awesome recipes to post. I'm sure you have some that are vegan!

myguetschow said...

Tyler D.!!!!

Yeah!! It's great to see you as a follower! Thanks for your encouraging words!

Marcia

Anonymous said...

It's vegan, so it shouldn't have oil. I don't know for sure.
I'll have to check my recipes!

Kathy said...

I made this delicious soup for lunch today. It appealed to me because it was a quick fix. Now I'll be coming back to it because it tastes fantastic! I absolutely loved this soup. Yum!