Saturday, November 14, 2009

Black Bean Chili


There are a lot of recipes out there for black bean chili. When I was eating meat, I used to make a version of this with chicken stock and oil. Since I've become a vegan this version has become my "go-to" recipe when I want something fast and delicious. Recently I took it to a party and got rave reviews! We all think this is a hit. I hope you do too!

Black Bean Chili


4 (15.5 oz.) cans of black beans, rinsed and drained (with one can set aside)
2 C. water
1 cube of bouillon, low sodium vegan (I use the Rapunzel brand)
1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
½ red pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 ½ t. cumin
1 ½ t. chili powder
1 t. dried oregano leaves
1/8 t. sea salt
Pam
Sliced scallions & chopped avocado for garnish

In the food processor, process, until smooth, one can of drained and rinsed beans with 2 cups of water. Lightly spray Pam in a non-stick stock pot and add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic. Cook the vegetables over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring often. Add the processed beans, the remaining rinsed and drained beans, the can of tomatoes with its juices, the bouillon cube and spices. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Garnish with scallions, avocado or both.

4 comments:

Allie said...

yum, i had this when i was home. my new fav chili!

Anonymous said...

So many yummy vegan recipes here!

http://vegan-fare.blogspot.com/

Susan said...

Allie... You have GREAT taste!!!

And sweet Marcia... YOU ROCK! Remember when I asked "what's for dinner?" & you said "I'm tired & I have no time, so black bean chili." Well, I've had organic black beans waiting on my kitchen counter ever since! Your chili was our first course last night; and Mr. Meat & Potatoes gave it a 10! It was so yummy & satisfying that I didn't even serve the next course! I LOVED the depth of flavor; & the contrasts in colors & texture! This is the perfect vegan dish for everyday ease, meat-eating family & company! Allie, this is my new fav too!

P.S. Marcia, I subbed organic fire roasted tomatoes and added more cumin, chili powder, 1 chopped, fresh poblano pepper & 1 green chili to the veggie saute. Was your red pepper sweet? And wouldn't strips of crispy Food For Life sprouted corn tortillas be awesome as a topping, too? I can't wait to make this one again! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! And what's for dinner at your house tonight?

myguetschow said...

Susan,

Your additions sounds wonderful!! I will try them next time I make it! And yes, I agree, corn tortillas would be awesome as a topping! THANK YOU!