Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pineapple Smoothie


Pineapple is in season. Yea! I love that sweet fruit in the peak of season. So when I started seeing it in the grocery store my thoughts went to finding new ways to work it into my diet.

Just this Christmas, my youngest daughter (the other beautiful one) gave me a book full of smoothie recipes, "Cool Smoothies," by Elsa Petersen-Schepelern. However, the recipe calls for a juicer and I only have a blender. I was afraid it wouldn’t sufficiently break down the pineapple, but I was wrong. With a little coaxing, the pineapple whipped up into a frothy delight.

Pineapple Crush

1 large pineapple
1 lemon
ice cubes
4 passionfruit (optional,I just floated raspberries)
sugar or honey, to taste (I used agave)

If you buy the pineapple unpeeled, peel it. Cut it into wedges, then chunks, then press through a juicer. Add the juice of 1 lemon and pour the mixture into a pitcher of ice. Stir in the flesh and seeds of 3 passionfruit, if using, and top with the remaining flesh and seeds.Depending on the sweetness and ripeness of the pineapple, you may like to add a little sugar or honey.

Note: It's a great recipe book for anyone who enjoys smoothies, and who doesn't? Just look at the chapter headings: cool smooth summer, fruits of the earth, vegetable magic, herbs, spices and nuts & clever cocktails (I'm really looking forward to that last chapter). My thanks to my beautiful daughter!

Cool Smoothies, Juices and Tonics

2 comments:

Vegan Wheekers said...

Sounds yummy! We recently juiced pineapple/orange/carrot. Also a nice combo. :-)

Allie said...

i wish i could have been there to try it =)