Friday, October 21, 2011

Breakfast Berry Smoothie

No matter how hard I try, I'm usually late getting out the door in the morning. I've tried all kinds of healthy fiber-filled breakfasts and it seems I always go back to smoothies. In an earlier post, I talked about the nutritional benefits of strawberries. Now I'd like to spend a little time on flax seed.

The following information on flaxseed is taken from the Mayo Clinic website. It explains the benefits of ground flaxseed in greater detail than I ever could.

"Most nutrition experts recommend ground flaxseed because your body is better able to digest it. Whole flaxseed may pass through your intestine undigested, which means you won't get all the health benefits.

Flaxseed is high in fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and phytochemicals called lignans. Flaxseed is commonly used as a laxative (to improve digestive health or relieve constipation). Both flaxseed and flaxseed oil have been used to help reduce total blood cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol levels and, as a result, may help reduce the risk of heart disease. Although flaxseed oil also contains omega-3 fatty acids, it doesn't have the beneficial fiber that the seeds have."

This recipe can't be beat. It's quick, easy and halleluiah, it gets me to work on time!


Breakfast Berry Smoothie
Makes 1 large glass

1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
1 C fresh strawberries, cleaned and cut in half
1/2 C fresh raspberries
1/2 banana
1 T ground flax seed
1/2 C ice

Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds yummy. There is a grocery store in my town where I can get frozen mixed berries--12 ounces for $1.79. That is so cheap that I should be making smoothies more.

I like the information on ground flax seed. And when you get omega-3 fatty acids from plants, there is no risk of any mercury in it--like there is for getting it from fish.

:-) Marion

myguetschow said...

Marion,

Thank you for adding the great information on omega 3 in flax seed! And please let me know how your smoothie making goes! :)