Saturday, June 23, 2012

Raw Food at Oryana


My sister is working at Oryana in Traverse City. She has long been interested in the relationship between food and health, so working at Oryana is a great fit. Oryana is a food co-op that consistently provides quality food to the community. It's an amazing store that reminds me of a smaller, better version of Whole Foods.

There's a lot going on in this store and all of it is good. They pride themselves on featuring local products some of which include produce, chocolate, wine, and bread.  There's a restaurant that serves up anything from smoothies to sandwiches and when you visit you may find yourself happily listening to live music as you sip your chai.


But back to my sister. She loves her job and its easy to see why. She demonstrates healthy, delicious meals featuring seasonal food while focusing on dishes that are easy to prepare. I visited recently with our mother and she was serving up a raw dish that could be made for lunch or dinner. It's a twist on pasta. You simply sub out the pasta for zucchini and end up with a raw, fresh, healthy, fun, good for you meal (her words). She found the recipe in the magazine,  "Whole Living,"  and it is so delicious I had to share.


Zucchini "Pasta"
Serves 2

8 ounces cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped raw walnuts
2 T torn fresh basil, plus leaves to garnish
2 T extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle
sea salt
1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise, slices cut into 1/4 inch long strips

In a bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, walnuts, basil and oil. Season with salt. Let stand 20 minutes. Toss with zucchini, garnish with basil and an extra drizzle of olive oil if desired.

This photo is from the Whole Living website.



Oryana - Natural Foods Market

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that zucchini pasta looks delicious! love all the colors! yum!

myguetschow said...

Hi!

Yes, it is! You should try it... it's yummy!

:)

William said...

I can't wait to visit Oryana when I come to Traverse City in July.

myguetschow said...

Hello William!!

It's great to hear from you! And I see you've become a follower! Thank you! Enjoy your trip north and be sure to get into Oryana for a demo!!! Have fun! I know you will.

:)

Unknown said...

I make zucchini pasta with my spiruli. It tastes great!

:-) Marion

myguetschow said...

Hi Marion,

I'm afraid I don't know what spiruli is??? Is this something I should use or try????

:)

Anonymous said...

I love this post! We will be going in for a demo soon. :)

Kathy (It won't let me sign in via Yahoo mail acct.?)

myguetschow said...

Hello! After you've gone in let me know what you think!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.