Thursday, February 18, 2010

Oryana


Recently my husband and I drove to Traverse City to visit family. While we were there, my sister Susan and her husband took us to Oryana, a natural foods market and cooperative. What a wonderful “field trip” it turned out to be. This market is like a mini Whole Foods nestled in a quiet, quaint neighborhood of Traverse City.

Oryana is a small but focused market that has everything from bread to candles. So what is it focused on? Oryana is a market committed to providing healthy food, much of it locally produced. In fact, its Northern Michigan’s only certified organic retailer dedicated to supplying food that’s produced using eco-friendly methods.


At Oryana there's a great little restaurant called Lake Street Cafe. The café offers espresso, fresh juice, smoothies, and vegetarian & vegan sandwiches along with fresh baked goods. While we were there, my sister bought a vegan apple-walnut muffin. We shared this taste treat and WOW...I regretted not buying several myself! (Just look at the walnuts and that big slice of apple!! YUM!)


So if you’re planning a trip to Traverse City, and while there you find yourself hungry for some vegan fare, fear not. Just head to 260 East 10th Street. The phone number is 231.947.0191 and the web address is www.oryana.coop.

Go… You’ll thank me AND my sister.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, Marcia !

I just LOVE this blog ! And I want another muffin !

CONGRATULATIONS on your 8 month anniversary ! I am so proud of you for improving your heart healthy numbers ! You look great ! & are making a real difference in the health of your family & friends ! Thank you sooooooo much for that !

Marcia, you inspire me . . . & I am so lucky to have you as a sister & a friend !

Hugs !
Susan

myguetschow said...

Susan... You're so sweet and supportive! And you've made so many changes in your lifestyle that are equally impressive... Thank you for YOUR continued inspiration. Hugs sweet sister!
Marcia

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful things you said regarding Oryana in your blog. I'm the baker at Oryana, and in addition to the muffins, we offer pies, cakes, cookies and cheesecake (!) that are vegan. I've also created a Flaxseed Bread (plus a variety of desserts) for those vegans that are gluten intolerant.

The next time you're in TC, please stop by and ask for me. I'd be happy to give you a sample.

Tom Sisco
Oryana Baker