Saturday, February 27, 2010

Read and Reading

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World has Never Seen

If you’re a runner, or have ever been a runner, you’ll love the book,"Born to Run." The author, Christopher McDougall, begins the journey in Mexico inspired by the Tarahumara, a tribe living in the Copper Canyons of Mexico, that live, eat and drink like they have for centuries. These people run endlessly, for fun and (most intriguing) in sandals! McDougall argues that these, largely unknown, people may be the best runners in the world and they have NO HEALTH ISSUES!

But the Tarahumara are not the only runners in this book and it doesn't take place only in Mexico. There are crazy stories about people that love running above all else, that drink wildly before insanely long runs, and run in climates and on terrain that few would ever consider. All of this is told as the story is woven into and out of nightlong races of incredible distances with unbelievable athletes often in dangerous areas.

Also interesting, McDougall explores the idea that humans are born to run, literally! He claims that running is a part of who we are, and in fact, at the core of our existence. He evaluates why our ancestors outlived the Neanderthals, and why today’s expensive running shoes actually increase a runner’s probability of getting hurt. It’s a great read… fun, entertaining and interesting.

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Right now I’m reading,"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living." It’s a good resource for anyone who might be considering becoming a vegan or has recently switched to a plant-based diet (like me). I think it’s written with the young, inexperienced cook in mind. Still, I found the information on vegan staples, hidden animal ingredients in food and beauty products, and the health benefits associated with a vegan diet all informative. The chapters are handy, the authors provide websites so the reader can find more information and products, and there are recipes (none of which I’ve tried yet) that look good. The authors cover a lot of information, most of it good, some of it open to discussion. For example, there is text in the book on vaccinations that I disagree with, but I know some would not. Personally, I'm not extreme in my beliefs or practices, but this book gave me plenty to think about. It's worth the read for those just starting out, but it should not be used as the only resource.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living


1 comment:

Susan said...

Sweet sister . . .

You are truly amazing ! . . . & absolutely inspirational ! I want you to know that your blog is my favorite "Favorites" & everytime I turn my laptop on, The Vegan Tummy is my first stop !

Hugs!
Susan