Friday, August 12, 2011

Pomegranate Martini

My family was in town visiting and we decided to go out for dinner. As you know, eating out can sometimes be a challenge for a vegan but when the waiter zooms in for the drink order I always know what I'm getting. I order my usual, Corona with a lime and glass. My youngest daughter commented on it calling it my "signature drink." Well, this started a discussion about "signature drinks." Apparently we all have them (or so she says) and mine is boring. And yes, I suppose it is. I would love to have some beautiful, exotic drink as my "signature," but alas, I don't.

A few weeks before that (while at a restaurant) the subject of cocktails and health came up. Can a cocktail be healthy was the question. As we sat gazing up at the waiter we all smiled, chuckled and shook our heads. Then, one of us (I won't say who) ordered a pomegranate martini commenting that maybe the goodness of the pomegranate juice would cancel out the alcohol. Well, let me tell you, when the drink came it was beautiful to look at and apparently delicious, and yes, it was enjoyed guilt free. So much for the original question...

It's these two stories that gave me direction for my most recent recipe. In all honesty, I can't drink a martini. And believe me, I've tried. There were many made before I hit on this, and I would love to have it as my "signature drink," but it will not be that. However, it's delicious and pretty to look at. And for those of you that like martinis, try away. Is it healthy? Well, that's a different post all together. For now, just enjoy.

Pomegranate Martini
Serves 1

1 oz. vodka
1 oz. Pama, a pomegranate liqueur
1 oz. pomegranate juice
1/4 t. fresh lemon juice
lemon peel twist

Begin by chilling the glass with ice. In a cocktail shaker, combine the all the liquid ingredients with plenty of ice. Cover and shake vigorously. Strain into a glass and garnish with a lemon twist. Serve.

3 comments:

Cheryl Allen Salinas said...

Looks yummy!

myguetschow said...

Thanks Cheryl! I really enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

Love this post :)