Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ratatouille Appetizer


My husband and I went north for New Years Eve and spent it with family. My sister Kathy organized the celebration and did nearly all of the cooking. She's an amazing cook. She thinks of everything! So when I walked in to find a vegan appetizer, I wasn't surprised. As usual, it was fantastic.  I begged her for the recipe and she sent it on to share along with this note.

"Here is the recipe for the ratatouille! This is my tweaked version of a recipe from a newspaper insert. I can't remember which one! You can use it as a main vegan dish or do the appetizer. If doing the appetizer, you should still have leftover ratatouille. I think this would also be great served over pasta."

I cannot adequately express how beautiful this appetizer is to look at, and it's soooo delicious! Thank you Kathy!

Yummy over pasta too!
Ratatouille
  
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium red onion, diced 
1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium orange bell pepper, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 medium yellow squash, diced
1/2 medium eggplant, diced (My sister used a bit less and left the eggplant unpeeled, but you could peel it if desired)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large ripe tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 t coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
30 - 45 mini phyllo cups

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, cook for 2 minutes. Add yellow and orange bell peppers and cook for another 2 minutes. Add zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant and cook for 2 more minutes. Add garlic, tomato, salt and pepper and cook for about 1 minute.

To make into an appetizer, spoon ratatouille into the mini phyllo cups and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes, or until heated through.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Marcia!

I'm so glad you made the recipe. Thank you for posting it on your fantastic blog! I'm honored. :)

Happy weekend!

Kathy

myguetschow said...

I really loved it Kathy!!! Thank you so much for thinking about me and making it!

Happy weekend to you too!!!

Love ya,

Marcia