Monday, January 23, 2012

Sparkling Sangria

My husband and I were in Chicago for the weekend and our girls had recommended a restaurant. We decided to try it and ended up there for dinner. They were right, it was great, but the star of the evening was the sangria.

Maybe it's because I've never had a sparkling sangria before, but I really enjoyed it and found it a nice change of pace. So I jotted down the ingredients and came home with the idea of recreating it. Certainly this isn't the exact recipe, but it's close. And don't let it sit like other sangria's because you don't want to lose the effervescence of the sparkling wine. Just make it and serve! My family really liked it. I hope you enjoy it too.

Sparkling Sangria

1 1/2 oz. of Licor 43
1 1/2 oz. of Creme de Cassis
1 oz. of simple syrup
1/2 a lemon, sliced thinly
1 orange, sliced thinly
1 pint of raspberries
1 bottle of chilled Cava, or other sparkling wine

In a large pitcher combine the Licor 43, Creme de Cassis and simple syrup. Stir. Add all of the fruit and gently mix. Add the cava and serve on ice.

Simple Syrup 

1/3 C sugar
1/3 C water

In a small saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the syrup to cool before using.

No comments: