Friday, August 21, 2009

Ahhh... Chicago


I went to the windy city one last time before my beautiful daughter had to return home to go to school. This time I went with my other beautiful daughter and my beautiful and amazing mother. It was our annual girl’s weekend of shop-til-you-drop and eat-drink-and-be-merry. We had so much fun! However, this time it was really hard for me to stay on my diet. We ate out for every meal, and I found myself trying to choose the lesser of the evils. I was able to steer clear of meat, but I ate veggie cream cheese on my whole wheat bagel, a potato pancake with applesauce (that was to die for) and late at night I found myself dipping into an awesome spinach cheese dip with pitas that were baked with olive oil.

So mistakes were made (worth every calorie), but there’s some good news. The Cheesecake Factory has a great fresh artichoke dish that’s fire-roasted. It’s served with a spicy vinaigrette and garlic dip (both delicious), but the artichokes are so good alone you won’t be tempted to use the dips. Then, at the Yard House in Glenview, I was introduced to chilled and salted edamame. Oh my! I’ve eaten edamame on salads, but I’ve never had them served like this. What a discovery. It was delicious! Both dishes were under $6.00 and great finds! So at restaurants where you least expect it, you CAN eat,drink and be a happy vegan.

No comments: