Wednesday, August 26, 2009

White Bean Pasta


I have to thank my dear friend Maryann for her help with this recipe. This dish is easy, fast, delicious and there's enough for the next day. Now try it Maryann!

White Bean Pasta

Serves 4

1 onion chopped (1C.)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 C. organic vegetable broth, divided
1 jar of pasta sauce
1 carrot, shredded
2 - 15.5 oz. cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
¼ t. salt
¼ t. crushed red pepper
1/8 t. pepper
Whole wheat spaghetti
8 basil leaves
4 sun-dried tomatoes, diced

Using a large non-stick skillet, cook the onion and garlic in ½ cup of vegetable broth until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the sauce and rinse out the remaining sauce in the jar with the other ½ cup of vegetable broth. Add the shredded carrot, beans, salt, crushed red pepper and pepper. Cook on low for 20-30 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and pour the pasta into the sauce. Gently mix and serve garnished with basil and sun-dried tomatoes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it spicy?

Gail said...

This looks delicious! I'm going to make it tonight. I work full-time so I'm always looking for fast, easy, low fat vegan recipes. Thanks!

Meg said...

My whole family loved this pasta dish! I only had one can of cannellini beans, so I used black beans for the second can. We loved the crushed red pepper... just the right amount of spicyness. Thank you for a quick "after work" dish using pantry staples. We will definately make this again!