Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dinner in Chicago

While visiting the windy city, The Chicago Diner became our destination for dinner. I found this vegetarian/vegan restaurant on-line and it received excellent ratings, so we went. Using our Garmin (Toby), it took us forever to find the restaurant (I love those things, but sometimes they take you to your destination the weirdest ways). Once we found the restaurant we needed to find parking. Parking can be a challenge in Chicago, in fact, later I got a $60.00 parking ticket! It took us a while, but we finally parked and walked to the restaurant. That's when we saw that the diner had a parking lot for patrons. Oh well, live and learn.

We were seated quickly after walking the length of the restaurant, through the kitchen (???) and onto the patio. The patio was quaint and it was a perfect evening for eating outdoors, so we ordered sangria and settled in. We asked the waiter for a recommendation from the appetizer menu. He offered up the nachos and we ordered. He asked if we wanted real cheese or vegan cheese, and here’s where we got into trouble. My daughter, being supportive in my quest for improved health, insisted on vegan cheese. OMG! That fake cheese is among the foulest things I’ve ever put in my mouth! It tasted like liquid cardboard! My daughter thought it tasted like licking the bottom of a shoe (not that she’s ever done that). However, the nachos minus the cheese were wonderful and we ate it all!

Dinner was great. We loved it. The food sitting on table tops all around us looked delicious, and the waiter gave us the option to order our meal as vegetarian or vegan. So if you’re ever in the Chicago area, I recommend eating at The Chicago Diner. It's casual, low key and there's absolutely no need to get dressed up. It's just fun and I will return!






















7 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Marcia!
I love reading your blog, and can't believe you are doing this! Good job though, I hope you are able to keep it up. Very inspiring! Hope to see you soon!!

Jenny Hill

Courtney Curran said...

Those nachos look delicious... but obviously the cheese didn't go over well. I wonder how they make it vegan! I'm looking forward to some recipes, I might have to try a few :)

MTR SPD said...

Love the Chicago Diner. My favorite place to eat when my family heads into the city! Next time you stop by the Diner try the wings! The vegan shakes are also WONDERFUL!!!

Unknown said...

When are you going to take me??

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Lauren said.!

I had to let you know that the following made me crack up (outloud. by myself.): " That fake cheese is among the foulest things I’ve ever put in my mouth! It tasted like liquid cardboard! My daughter thought it tasted like licking the bottom of a shoe (not that she’s ever done that). "

Also, making a note to hide my shoes upon entering your house. Just in case.

~Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

Marcia:

I am so proud of you for all of the healthy changes you have made in our eating habits. You are doing a great job!

GG

myguetschow said...

GG,

Thank you so much... Aren't you nice! One more reason to keep you healthy and happy.

Love you!